Friday, January 28, 2011

Space Tits Alpha


“Name one thing in this Universe that is absolute.”

“The speed of light, it travels at a constant.”

“Nope.”

“No?”

“If you are travelling at ninety-nine, point nine nine percent of the speed of light what happens?”

“Gravity around you increases"

“Right. And if you are in a ship and you run from the back of that ship to the front, do you go any faster?”

“No, because gravity has dilated space.”

“See?”

“I don’t get it.”

“If you are in the ship and you look out, everyone else has slowed down and to them, you sped up. But that is only because we are using light as a reference. If you were light, you would say that you sped up and everything else is a constant.”

“I still don’t get it.”

“Don’t you see? Light is a constant because we say it is. Because that is what we use as a reference point.”

“Okay, so what does that mean?”

“It means that we decide to see reality through choice. How far is a mile?”

“By foot or by car?”

“Doesn’t matter, is it a far or short distance?”

“Far I guess.”

“Right, and if we measure it in inches it has a larger number associated with it.”

“Sure-.”

“And if we measured it in light years it would have a very small number associated with it.”

“-right, but humans can’t travel light years.”

“We can’t because we don’t think in light years, we think in inches and miles. If we broadened our view on reality things that seem impossible would be everyday opportunity.”

“I don’t think I can agree to this.”

“Look, when people wanted to travel in space they had to get a general consensus from the world first. Look how quickly everyone made it there after Sputnik was launched. Before that, for thousands of years humans just sat around this rock saying, ‘I like it here; I can’t wait till I die to go to the heavens’.”

“I see your point. So what you are saying is, the girl over there by the lunch counter, in the green dress, isn’t a ten and I am not a four. And because of this reason I have a chance with her if I go and talk to her.”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.”

“Sorry man, but I still think she is light years away.”

1 comment:

  1. This conversation is witty, light-hearted, and philosophical at the same time. I like it :D. I always try to keep my philosophical beliefs out of my writing because I don't want to sound preachy but you've made it into something quite humourous.

    Abbi

    ReplyDelete